A common story given as to why the goat is often used as an image of Satan is because of the ancient story of the scapegoat, that is, Satanists, beginning in about the 19th century with Eliphas Levi, adopted the image of the goat for Satan in order to claim Satan as a scapegoat for evil when, in fact, the devil was, as Lucifer-Prometheus and the serpent of the gnostic myths, merely trying to help humankind.
While it is true that the baphomet figure as we know it does have its origins in Eliphas Levi, the use of the goat figure is ancient.
The satyr, a half man-half goat figure, was depicted in often very crude anatomically detailed manner on Greek vases as well as some Roman mosaics as well as a variety of myths. He is always associated with sexual degeneracy, and, very interestingly, degenerate music.
Is there a connection with Orphism here?
I would be willing to say yes.
The satyr figure was associated not with fertility per se, but with bestiality, rape, orgies, and other transgressive and degenerate forms of sex. What is further interesting is that in the stories of satyr rapes, like the story of rapes by gods such as Zeus, Poseidon, and Apollo, there is usual a bestial metamorphosis of some kind involved as well as a narrative of the loss of innocence of a young girl or nymph in a garden or other rustic settings.
The goat as animal thus became associated with sodomy, bestiality, as well as with magic rituals associated with these acts.
Thus we left with a few interesting points.
- The satyr and goat have traditionally been associated with transgressive sexual activities; thus, Eliphas Levi’s use of the goat as the hermaphroditic baphomet is an old trope. Satan as the adversary or tempted is defined by his desire to break the natural law and rebel against God’s order. Thus transgressive sex has a Satanic mystical element to it.
- Secondly, although St. Augustine dismissed the idea outright that Eve had sexual relations with the serpent in the Garden of Eden, could all of the stories of bestial rape of a virgin by a god in classical mythology be perverted tales of the fall of Eve?
- Were the bestial occult sex rituals performed in the Mediterranean reenactments of this seduction of eve by the Serpent?
- Is every transgressive sexual act a participation in this ur satanic ritual?
- Is this is what is going on at a black mass in which degenerate sex activity is being performed?
- Is this a clue to uncovering the human trafficking epidemic, the abuse of children in the Church, and even the Weinstein Hollywood stories of rape?