One of the odd claims of the modern New Age movement is that they are recovering an ancient unified religion. This also is one of the claims of hermeticists and masons and is one of the goals of the ecumenical movement. What is interesting is that the Syrian Neoplatonist Iamblichus also believed in this ancient religion as did Plato who expounds upon it in his Timaeus. This religion seems to have the following qualities.
- A supreme father God that is worshiped under a variety of names.
- A mother goddess who is worshiped under a variety of names.
- However, at the same time, there is some understanding that humans can reach Godhead and either equal or become part of the supreme God.
- Avatars or prophets who come and present an exoteric teaching for the masses and estoteric doctrine for the “illumined ones.” Jesus is one of these avatars in Islam, Mormonism, Hinduism (after the 19th century), and the New Age movement, as well as the new Arian Christianity of the Vatican II Church.
- A divide between a master class (the illumined ones, the ubermensch, etc.) or race (i.e., Nordics, colored people, Jews, etc.) and the common people who are animals and slaves. This divide is covered over by a duplicitous exoteric teaching of equality.
- A totalitarian world state.
- The paradoxical worship of technology as well as naturalism (especially for the masses who are more animal like).
- A brutal and sadistic violence masked by the exoteric doctrine of kindness and humanism.
- Sexual degeneracy as sex magic and a means of enlightenment.
This teaching survived in the West in gnostic and manichean sects, Talmudic Judaism, Islam, cells with in the Catholic Church as well as among the Byzantine and Eastern “Orthodox,” as well as in folk traditions and classical myths.
It is my view that this is the religion into which Pope Francis is steering us. I strongly believe, based on some evidence and rumors, that Pope Francis will introduce a new rite sprung from the Novus Ordo that will be an ecumenical rite that will accelerate the return of this new world religion.
I had been well aware that Marsilio Ficino had envisioned the Renaissance as the rebirth of the ancient Egyptian religion (as prophesied in the Corpus Hermeticum) as well as the ancient Golden Age, but according to Michael Allen (a UCLA professor not a crazy conspiracy theorist), Ficino envisioned his time as a revival of “the pre-Noachian time of Enoch,” that is, possibly what Plato would call the antediluvian Atlantis civilization. Very interesting indeed.
One the most tantalizing bits of information floating about in occult research is the idea of an antediluvian, that is, pre-flood civilization. In this theory, there was a unified civilization of high technology, occultism, and moral degeneracy that was destroyed by God in the Great Flood. Echoes of this time have been preserved in both Western and Eastern mythology and some residue of the pre-flood technology, including the use of magic, was carried into Egypt (for the record, I strongly doubt that this civilization had electronics or space ships–but who knows?).
It was a goal of pagan religion to revive this ancient civilization after a period of “apostasy” in which Christianity would triumph.
In the Renaissance, occultists such as Giordano Bruno, John Dee, and Francis attempted to either discover or revive Atlantis and Egyptian magic and technology, and one of the vehicles of this religious teaching was thought to be the Corpus Hermeticum.
Scholars today largely argue that the Corpus contains Neoplatonic and Gnostic ideas that were current only after the time of Christ, and there is no real “ancient” Egyptian teaching in it.
However, I have just finished reading an academic essay by Clement Salaman titled “Echoes of Egypt in Hermes and Ficino” that seems to prove that the Corpus does contain earlier Egyptian magic and religious teaching from such works as The Egyptian Book of the Dead.
Thus, the possibility remains open that the Corpus is only one of many vehicles of a very old teaching that was unearthed in the Renaissance and has been used to build the Egypt in which we now live.